If you are like me any restaurant discount I can get is welcome. The best advice I can give to everyone about Senior Restaurant Discounts is to just ask your server before you order. Ask them if they have any senior discounts. Doing this before you order means you will find out about any special menu that may be available. It could have added offerings, smaller portions, and/or better value for your money. Although most restaurants start their senior discounts at age 55 or 60 there are some which will have discounts starting at age 50 so you will never know unless you ask.
Aside from the list below, check with your local Restaurants and Cafes for discounts. You never know until you ask. Also be aware that many Restaurants offer their senior discounts at earlier dinner times.
Restaurant Discounts List
- Applebee’s: 10-15% off senior discounts (varies by location, need to ask for) MAY require Golden Apple Card (60+)
- Arby’s: 10% off (55+)
- A&W All American Food: 10% Senior discount varies by location
- Backyard Burger: free drink with purchase
- Ben & Jerry’s: 10% off for seniors (60+)
- Bennigan’s: discount varies by location (60+)
- Bob’s Big Boy: discount varies by location (60+)
- Boston Market: 10% off (65+)
- Burger King: 10% off (60+) plus additional discounts on coffee and soft drinks
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Co: 10% off for AARP Members
- Captain D’s Seafood: “Happy Wednesday Offer” choice of 8 meals + drink for $4.99 or less- varies by loc. (62+)
- Carrabba’s Italian Grill: 20% off on Wednesdays to AARP Members
- Carrows Restaurants: Golden 55 Menu offers discounted breakfast, lunch & dinner (55+)
- Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee (55+)
- Chili’s: 10% off (55+)
- CiCi’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)
- Country Kitchen: Great Senior Menu (55+)
- Culvers: 10% off senior discount (60+)
- Dairy Queen: 10% off for seniors (15% for coaches) varies by location (free small drink at some locations)
- Denny’s: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members (55+)
- Dunkin’ Donuts: AARP members receive a free donut with the purchase of a large hot coffee (at participating restaurants)
- Einstein’s Bagels: 10% off baker’s dozen of bagels (60+)
- El Pollo Loco: 10% off senior discounts varies by location (55+)
- Friendly’s Restaurants: Breakfast discount varies by location (60+)
- Fuddrucker’s: 10% off any senior platter (55+)
- Gatti’s Pizza: 10% off (60+)
- Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)
- Hardee’s: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)
- IHOP: Great discounts on senior menu items (55+)
- Jack in the Box: up to 20% off (55+)
- Kagle’s Barbecue: 10% off (50+)
- KFC: Free small drink with any meal (55+)
- Krispy Kreme: 10% off (50+)
- Long John Silver’s: Various discounts at locations (55+)
- McDonald’s: discounts on coffee everyday (55+)
- Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)
- Outback Steakhouse: 15% off AARP members for meals Monday through Thursday (alcohol excluded)
- Old Country Buffet: Daily discounts for seniors(55+)
- Papa John’s: 25% off (55+) for online orders. Enter the code “AARP25″ when placing your order
- Ponderosa Steak Houses: Senior Discounts Vary Senior menu available (60+)
- Shoney’s: 10% off Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)
- Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+) varies by location
- Steak ‘n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday (50+)
- Subway: 10% off (60+)
- Sweet Tomatoes: 10% off (60+)
- Taco Bell: 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)
- TCBY: 10% off (55+)
- Tea Room Cafe: 10% off for seniors (50+)
- Traditions Restaurant (East TX): Senior platter meal for $4.71 (50+)
- Village Inn: 10% off (60+)
- Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)
- Wendy’s: 10% off (55+)
- Whataburger: Free drink w/ purchase of a meal varies by loc. (55+)
- White Castle: 10% off (62+)
List provided by theseniorlist.com
Did you know that there is a certain restaurant psychology that is deployed to separate us from just a little more of our money?
We all love to have someone else prepare and serve us a fabulous meal. But we can save money beyond discounts by understanding how menus are created and the little things restaurants do to have us pay a little more and increase their bottom line. Check out this nifty infographic by NeoMan Studios 11 Tricks Restaurants Use to Make You Spend More Money
It lays out:
1- Menus putting higher profit items in boxes.
2- Menus referencing family names in the names of the dishes listed.
3- The use of meaningless descriptions
4- How good value items are placed in the lower left of the menu.
5- They deploy a “dazzle” factor for expensive dishes.
6- The use of classical music to make us feel wealthier and loosen our spending.
7- How waiters will tell us about non menu item specials but never offer the price unless specifically asked.
8- Waiters giving us the option of sparkling water or regular water but of course that sparkling water will cost.
9- How buffets always start with salad and bread to fill your plate before we reach the main course items.
10- How the 2nd cheapest wine may just have the biggest markups.
11- Ever notice how some menus omit having $$$ signs next to the price? A little mental dissociation to the fact that your money is being spent.